The Ultimate Insider's Guide to the ASB Classic Tennis Tournament
An Insider's Guide to the 2020 ASB Classic
When the world's tennis heavyweights descend upon our small but mighty country it's as though Auckland city stops for two weeks. Without a doubt, year after year the ASB Classic remains the place to be in these first festive sunny days of the new year. No longer regarded as simply a sporting event, you can expect courtside activities just as thrilling as on-court antics.
We've broken down the NEED to know's and NICE to know's of the hottest sporting affair this summer.
WHERE IS THE EVENT?
The ASB Tennis Arena is located at: 1 Tennis Lane, Parnell, Auckland. We recommend booking a taxi or Uber for pick-ups and drop-offs to the event. Find more travel info here.
DO YOU HAVE TO BE A DIE-HARD TENNIS FAN TO ENJOY THE EVENT?
Absolutely not! The ASB Classic has completely evolved from its early days of chair-bound marathon games. Beyond Centre Court, you'll find The Serve which essentially becomes Auckland's largest restaurant space for the duration of the tournament. It's perfect for foodies, lovers of fine wine & beverages, and really just anyone wanting an exceptionally different social experience.
Some of our favourite off-court temptations include:
1. The Moët & Chandon Ice Rocks Lounge surprises and delights with poolside fine dining, exclusive cabanas, bean bags and deck chairs to take in the action on the big screen.
2. The Heineken Bar is the place to enjoy and ice cold beer in the heat of the day. Unwind with your choice of Heineken beverage, washing down delicious Dutch snacks while great tunes play out all day and night.
3. More of a coffee connoisseur? The ASB Classic is thrilled to welcome L’Or Espresso as the tournament’s Official Coffee for
2020. They'll be serving up French coffees, affogatos and the crowd-favourite cocktail - espresso martinis! Paired with the brand’s Maison de L’Or Cafe and Patisserie, you'll be spoilt for choice with sweet and savoury French delights to match. Merci!
4. Reminiscent of an elegant European wine garden, The Babich Wine Bar is back again for its second year as the official wine of the event, serving sharing and tapas-style dishes, all perfectly matched to selected Babich Wines.
5. Something new the Remix team are particularly excited about this year is the brand new Schweppes 1783 Bar. Offering tournament-inspired cocktails alongside a range of the classics and the perfect G&T it's also offering a tasty menu of Kiwi crowd pleasers with a twist.
6. Froth over a great foodie experience? You can expect to see some of Auckland's finest restaurants in a series of pop ups during the tournament. Look out for Josh Emett’s ‘Hawker & Roll’, Michael Dearth’s ‘Baduzzi’ and newcomer to the local scene, ‘Lobster & Tap’, amongst others!
WHAT SHOULD YOU WEAR?
While it is hot at the Tennis, this doesn't mean it's a fashion free-for-all. A certain unspoken standard exists for courtside patrons so leave the activewear and basketball singlets at home and instead think light, bright and breezy. Sunglasses, hats, sunblock are essential but scroll down for style tips from the ever well-groomed ASB Classic Ambassadors; Hannah Barrett, the boys of Jupiter Project boys and Josh Emett. They will be courtside for one of their favourite sporting and social events of the year so we asked them to dish out advice for any tournament first-timers... and those of us who need a refresh of what awaits behind the mysterious gates of the ASB Tennis Arena.
Gavin Correia & Marty Rich (Jupiter Project)
Josh EmettWhat are your top 2-3 tips for dressing for the tennis?
Sorry, I am biased…. I will head straight to Hawker and Roll!! My tip is send someone ahead to stand in line as it can get busy but is worth the wait
There are some great sheltered areas at The Serve with umbrellas and a large screen so you won’t miss a game.
Daniil Medvedev – ranked 4th in the world after an unbelievable 2019 success beating Novak several times and is the main threat to the top 3. So great to have a player of this quality at this tournament. My boys also love Shapovalov, Görges and NZ’s own Paige and Venus.
No talking during points, just be respectful.
I love the atmosphere. I’ve been to the ASB Classic a few times and just chilled with friends at The Serve over a few cold Heinekens.
WHO'S PLAYING THIS YEAR?
From Day One - Sunday 4th January - and through to January 18th you can expect to see the likes of 'Queen of the Court' Serena Williams among many other well-knowns and up-and-comers. See below for the best of the best...
Tickets are available here, and the ASB Classic are also auctioning off centre-court seats... (these are the BEST seats in the house) with all proceeds going to the Australian bushfire appeal. Click here for more details. Following in charitable footsteps, player Serena Williams is also auctioning off her dresses worn during the tournament (will also be autographed) with all proceeds going to the bushfire appeal.