As we countdown to Christmas there's nothing that’ll get you more into the spirit than flicking on a festive film and enjoying some snacks with your family, friends or better half this December. These are just some of the Christmas movies we’ll be watching and we’ll most definitely be eating all these snacks.
Elf with Popcorn
Starring Will Ferrell as Buddy, the over-sized Elf, this movie is a favourite and is sure to become a Christmas classic. What better way to enjoy this movie than with some fun salted caramel popcorn.
1/2 cup un-popped popcorn kernels
1 cup salted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 – 2 tsp kosher or sea salt, divided
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- Pop popcorn kernels using air popper into a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan melt butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and 1 tsp salt together over medium heat. Bring to boil. Boil for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and stir to coat evenly.
- Pour popcorn into lined pan, sprinkle remaining salt on top (1/2 tsp – 1 tsp depending on your personal taste preference) and place in oven. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Allow popcorn to cool on a parchment lined counter
Love Actually with Cookies
This is by far the best go-to Christmas film and we’re pretty sure we’ve watched it a million times already. Sit back and relax with some warm chocolate chip biscuit while watching this loved up film.
1 cup Chelsea White Sugar
1 cup Chelsea Soft Brown Sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
3 cups flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups chocolate chips
- Melt butter, and add both sugars and cream these together.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla then mix in the dry ingredients.
- Roll into medium sized balls, making sure the mixture is not too wet!
- Put on a well greased baking tray. They shouldn't spread too much so flatten slightly.
- Bake at 180° for 8-10 minutes.
Home Alone with Truffles
This movie always goes down a treat, there’s nothing more entertaining then watching Kevin McCallister accidentally get left at home during Christmas vacation to then have to fight off burglars while his family is away. Why not whip up some easy and tasty chocolate truffles to munch on while the mayhem unfolds.
250g cream cheese, softened
3 cups (500g) icing sugar, sifted
375g dark chocolate chips, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in icing sugar until well blended. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla until no streaks remain.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour. Shape into 2.5cm balls. Roll in nuts or sprinkles.
Polar Express with Milkshakes
This magical movie is so good that we too want to be picked up by a train in the middle of night, sing and dance with hot coco and get taken to the North Pole to meet Santa. It is summer here, so instead of hot cocoa why don’t you make your own chocolate freak shakes?!
Mini peanut butter cups
- With a knife or spatula, rim a Mason jar with Nutella. Break up some peanut butter cups and Oreos, and stick them to the rimmed glass.
- In a blender, mix Nutella, mini Oreos and vanilla ice cream until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the milk shake into the glass until it is halfway full. Sprinkle some more Oreo crumbs and drizzle Nutella into the glass, and then continue pouring the milk shake until the glass is full.
- Crush some more peanut butter cups and sprinkle them onto the top of the milk shake.
- Top with whipped cream, Oreo bits and more peanut butter cup crumbs until you are satisfied.
- Finish with a hot-fudge drizzle.
Serendipity with Strawberry Smore’s
Set in New York at Christmas time, this amazing film follows two people who are testing fate and love in the hopes that they will find each other as a sign that they are meant to be together. Pair this movie with some Strawberry Smore’s and you’re good to go.
12 large strawberries
1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Remove stems from strawberries; carefully cut out center of each strawberry. Spoon marshmallow creme into decorating bag fitted with medium tip; squeeze bag to pipe marshmallow creme into center of each strawberry.
- Line plate with cooking parchment paper. Place graham cracker crumbs in small bowl.
- In a small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips uncovered on High 30 seconds; stir. Continue to microwave in 15-second increments until chips are softened and can be stirred smooth.
- Dip bottom of each strawberry in melted chocolate, then roll in graham cracker crumbs. Place on plate. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is hardened.