Now, women have an excuse to sleep in in the mornings. So stay in bed longer, you deserve it!
Research from Loughborough University found that women need more sleep than men as their brains are more complex and are wired differently (- that's clearly another way of saying women are smarter).
Professor Jim Horne studied 201 men and women. The results showed that the more of the brain that was used during the day, the more time it needed to recover, thus leading to more sleep.
'Women tend to multi-task – they do lots at once and are flexible – and so they use more of their actual brain than men do. Because of that, their sleep need is greater.' Professor Jim Horne says.
Research also found that women tend to suffer from sleep deprivation more than men which can be associated with hostility, anger and depression.
So how can you get a better night's sleep?
- Try get eight hours of sleep a night - go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning
- Sleep in darkness - our bodies produce melatonin in darkness which helps us to sleep. Invest in an eye-mask or blackout curtains
- Avoid caffeine and sugar - don’t have any stimulants for at least three hours before you go to bed
- Buy comfy pillows - have one or two comfortable pillows and ensure your neck stays flat
- Avoid smartphones and tablets before sleep - this emits blue and white-light, preventing our bodies to release melatonin. So get off your emails and social media pages and keep them far away from reach!
Words by Emily Triggs